Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ultimate Warrior Training week 1 day 4

Weekly Mileage: 13.42
Thursday -  4.67
Today's workout was to run 40-60 minutes of fartlek running...Since I am running at work my time is limited and thus I only went 45 minutes for this workout. I started off with a 10 minute warm up and finished with a 5 minute warm down. I did my running in intervals or a ladder as we used to call it... 2-3-4-4-3-2.
2 min hard, 3 min hard, 4 min hard, 4 min hard, 3 min hard, 2 min hard and 2:30 jogging in between each.

I varied my speed in each interval to change tempos and reflect race like conditions...go from a slower pace and pick it up for a solid :30 or 1:00 and then taper down and then back up. This kind of workout is definitely good for endurance and getting your speed back...I used to love these workouts in high school when we would run all over Marion and down to the park and through the woods across the creek and other fun routes that made running fun and exciting. I miss that kind of running. That is what I loved most about cross country. Not just running the streets, but running through nature and scenery. It really makes you appreciate God's creation and enjoy the sport of running and gets your mind off the grueling heat and miles you are putting in. I definitely need to find some alternative routes to run that would give me an escape from the norm.

Here is to a pretty solid week thus far. Tomorrow is a rest day and then Saturday will be a 5 miler, closely pushing me to 19 miles for the week. Sunday is a wildcard day and will probably log 2-3 miles to keep my legs loose after Saturday's long distance. That will put me about 21-22 miles for the week, definitely a successful week of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment