Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tulsa United Way Sand Run - 5k

Friday mileage: 3.6 (includes warmup time)
WTD mileage: 9.1
CT mileage to date: 44.1
5k race: 25:40

Temperatures dipped into the upper 70s with a nice breeze blowing after a bunch of storms swept through the Tulsa area on Friday. It made for a great evening of racing.

I was well loosened up due to a stretching class I participated in at work and did plenty of warm up prior to the race. I was disappointed that they did not have any of the course marked for distance and there were no splits provided...made it really difficult to race and pace myself.

There were several hills which proved to be challenging. I paced myself throughout the course and then kicked it hard the last quarter mile...I finished 4th in my age group by 16 seconds...and 59th overall.
My time was 25:40 and was an average of 5:09 per k.

My goal was 25:00 but I didn't account for the hills or lack of distance being marked.
It was a good test to see where I am physically and look forward to my next race in the next few weeks.

I am definitely pleased that I can say that I competed and didn't quit...should've kicked it even harder at the end and made up some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment