Wednesday, January 9, 2013

One foot in front of the other

How to start the new year on the right foot....would mean putting one foot in front of the other and move forward. You can't move forward if you are sitting down, lying down or refusing to do anything and standing in one spot.

Moving forward requires movement. Something called inertia. Something called force. Something that many of us don't do enough of. Too many of us sit around and think too much. We have really great ideas and thoughts and dreams, but then we never put any ink to paper or action to the vision.

You must make up your mind to do something and put action with it. Once you are moving you will gain momentum and the more momentum you have the less likely something is going to stop you. I won't lie. There are times we face huge hills and bumps and obstacles in our daily walk, but with Christ we can do all things through Him who gives us strength. And so what if you hit a wall and your progress stops. Shake it off and change direction!

Instead of staying dormant or idle. Change your momentum and your direction. Go up and over! Or go to the right or left and go around. Or even go down and under. Don't let something keep you from progressing. Whatever it is that is in front of you cannot stop you, unless you believe it can. Doubt and fear is your enemy. They will keep you from dreaming, moving forward and ultimately experiencing your breakthrough. Replace them with faith and believe.

On November 11th, the day after setting a PR for a 10K race, I thought my running days were going to be significantly minimal and possibly taken away. I was having a difficult afternoon and had been arguing with my wife about something very ridiculous. I went up into my attic to get some warmer clothes from a storage container since I wanted to set an example to my children that their father is smart to wear warmer clothes when it is cold outside. As I was descending out of the attic, of course with an attitude, I decided to step down from the second rung on the ladder, which is about 2 1/2 feet off the ground. I had done this countless times before without thinking about it and never had any issues. But apparently the angle I was turned at, when I stepped downwards, all my weight and the momentum came with me and was all on my right foot. When I landed on the ground my ankle snapped over and sent me backwards and on my back. I don't remember the entire incident as I went into shock.

As I landed on the floor I was immediately nauseated and had horrible pain in my ankle. I knew from previous ankle injuries on this particular ankle that this was not just a simple twist. I had really done it this time. All I could think of was, "all my training and running is done", "I have totally screwed it up". I actually thought my ankle may be fractured. Instead of enjoying a Thanksgiving party I was laid up on the couch with ice and watching t.v. and seeing the swelling increase.

The next day it was huge and I could not go to work. I was laid up for 2 days. I had x-rays come back saying I had a slight fracture and was told to visit the Orthopedic surgeon. He didn't agree with the x-rays and said he was treating it as a severe sprain and to begin rehabbing it as soon as I could to prevent apathy in my muscles.

I was relieved, but also frustrated because for the last 2 months, the swelling has been slow and the pain has still been present at times. I was ready to get back on the road and get back to training. I did not want to wear a protective boot and I did not want to be prevented from running again.

Slowly the pain has gone away in the last month and I have stretched it and kept it protected. I set a goal for myself and was inspired to reach my goal. The goal I set for myself was to be back to running, in some capacity, by January 1st.

On Tuesday, January 1st, I laced up my shoes and put my ace protective wrap around my ankle and headed out for a run. At first I had some tenderness in my ankle and I was a bit 'rusty', but I kept pushing and ended up running 2.16 miles in under 18:00. I was very excited that I had been able to run under a 9 minute mile pace. I was even more excited to run at all. Since that evening I have been able to run twice more as I am not wanting to overdo it and pace myself. In my first week back on the roads I was able to put in a total or 8 miles.

I could have stopped trying after injuring my ankle and just not even tried or allowed myself to stay negative, but I kept moving. I kept myself positive and determined. I was going to run again regardless of what I had to do. I put one foot in front of the other and made myself move forward. I put the pain and discomfort behind me and put my sights in front of me.

If you are frustrated or discouraged with something, don't get down and let those thoughts take you captive. Keep positive and speak life over yourself and you will begin to see a positive impact on you and those around you.

Blessings!

Stretch

1 comment:

  1. Or as my dad used to tell me: "When you get bucked off a horse, you get back on." Good encouragement.

    ReplyDelete