Thursday, January 10, 2013

I love a rainy night

Last night I was planning on laying low and munching on some food and watch some television before going to bed for the evening; however, my plans changed. Once I started calculating my calories and foods I had eaten for the day, I was about over my daily limit. This was not acceptable in my book and I made an executive decision. I was going to go for a run and I didn't care what time it was nor what the weather was doing. The longer you read my posts you will learn that I love running in the elements. It is challenging, but liberating.

Don't get me wrong, I like running in ideal conditions: mid-60's, slight breeze, sunny. Who doesn't? I prefer to not run in the extreme heat, but have run many times at night when it was still 100 degrees outside. Doesn't make for a fun workout, but still you sometimes have to get the miles in.

Last night when I decided to take my evening run, I started at almost 11 pm, so by the time I completed my 2 mile trek it was getting pretty late and to get up for work in the morning would be an adventure all on it's own. As I stepped outside with my shoes laced up, my music and Nike app ready for play, my stocking hat pulled down and my long sleeve tech shirt on for extra warmth, it was still raining. It had been raining off and on for the evening and so it made me happy. The night air was cool and the splashes of rain drops numbed my face as I took off into the wind and down hill. About mid-way through my run, the rain stopped and it remained windy and chilly, but I pushed on anyways up the hills and down the streets of Shawnee and ended up running my 2 miles in 17:13; which is around an 8:35/mi pace. So while i have some work to do to get back into shape and improve my speed, I am not disappointed.

If you have never run at night, you would be in for a big surprise. There are a lot of challenges and it will keep you on your toes. I don't always exercise the greatest night running etiquette, but I am safe. Some runners run with lights and reflectors. I run with light colored clothing and ensure that I am aware of my surroundings. Running in the dark can be difficult and dangerous if you aren't familiar with your surroundings. Potholes and other road hazards can wreck havoc on ankles and knees, curbs and drainage culverts, on-coming traffic and limited visibility can wreck havoc on your nerves. I always run against traffic so I can see what is coming towards me and allow myself adequate room and time to adjust and get over to avoid traffic. Even when I have been as cautious as possible there are still instances of a crazy driver out there who is texting and driving or not paying attention and regardless of the precautions you take, they don't see you.

I have found that running at night is a good way to unload the stress of the day and to wear my body down before I go to bed. There are pros and cons for running at night and while running during the day would be my preference, I still like the challenge of the dark. So whether or not you are running in the rain, snow, sunshine or moonshine, the important thing to remember is to go and enjoy the outdoors and get a good workout in.

Here's to a great weekend for running!

Scarecrow Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment