Saturday, November 10, 2012

Back in training

I have not written on this blog in months and feel like it's time to re-establish my "training blog".
After experiencing and enduring through 2 bouts with Plantar Fasciitis since last December I totally stopped running due to the pain.

In April I competed in the Brew to Brew 44.5 mile relay from KC to Lawrence with 4 of my ACCC cross country teammates. It was a great time of catching up and running. We each ran 2 legs of the 44.5 mile relay. I ran the 5th and last leg. That day started off cool and ended up at 92 degrees, unseasonably warm for April 1st.

That was the first real running I had engaged in for several weeks. I flirted with the idea from time to time through this past summer, but spent time recovering and healing up from the PF. Finally in August the pain had left and I was ready to begin training again.

I had my sites set upon the Dirty30: Zombie Run, the 1st weekend of October. I didn't run it for time, but more for the experience with my friend Randee Stone. Avoiding the zombies was the most fun of the whole day. Weather that day was less than ideal. It was 45 degrees and very windy. Jumping in water and mud wasn't a big deal during the course, but after the race was over, we literally were ice cubes.

The following week I was dealt a blow of 2 days of vomitting, diarreah and no fun. The Saturday after feeling normal again, I was dealt another blow: A Kidney Stone. Worst pain one could endure. It was unbelievable and I thought I was going to die. It hurt so bad.

I was fortunate to survive and get over the pain and discomfort; however, my training took a significant hit as I went from running 3-4 days a week to 1 run each week for a month. Surprisingly, I didn't lose much and was happy to get back to running during the last week of October.

On November 8th we ran at the airport trails and did a 6 mile test run and I felt pretty good logging a time of 56 minutes. Then on Saturday, November10th, I participated in the 1st annual OBU Bison Stampede 5K/10K run. I did the 10K - 6.2 miles in all. It was a windy morning and the temps were in the low 60s. For the lack of training I have had over past month I felt I did amazing. I set a PR for the 10K with a time of 54:24.

From this time on I will be training for some longer distance races and can't wait to see where this road leads. My goals are to run in my first marathon and ultra race. Here's to cooler weather and the 2012/2013 running season.

Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment